After being a tent camper for years and years, I recently purchased a teardrop camper. I bought it mainly for security and safety while traveling. I hope to join some communities of women campers to make more friends and connections.

I am a reader and a writer; a momma and a grandma; a sister and a daughter. I have been a teacher and librarian for over 25 years. I used to blog here for new teachers, but now I have changed to blogging about my travels, and just for fun.

I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!











Wednesday, April 6, 2011

National Teacher of the Year, Sarah Brown Wessling


Sarah Brown Wessling and President Barack Obama

The keynote address at the Celebration of Teaching at OSU was given by the National Teacher of the Year, Sarah Brown Wessling. Mrs. Wessling spoke about a teacher’s ability to take intellectual risks. She said that the anxiety of thinking about something is worse than actually doing something. Mrs. Wessling said, “Ask yourself; why am I teaching this?” “Is this good enough for my students?” Tell your students why you are teaching them what you are teaching. Make it relevant for the students.

My favorite quote was “Failure isn’t in the mistakes; it is in being afraid of it.” This means being deliberate in your teaching; reflecting on your successes and failures. Don’t be afraid to try new methods and lessons because you think you might fail – take that intellectual risk and explore, investigate and TRY!

Mrs. Wessling recommended two books and I intend to download them both to my Kindle:

Brain Rules, by John Medina
Talent is Overrated, by Geoff Colvin

What I took from her speech was what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." My new mantra is “be deliberate.”

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment