After being a tent camper for years and years, I recently purchased a teardrop camper. I bought it mainly for security and safety while traveling. I hope to join some communities of women campers to make more friends and connections.

I am a reader and a writer; a momma and a grandma; a sister and a daughter. I have been a teacher and librarian for over 25 years. I used to blog here for new teachers, but now I have changed to blogging about my travels, and just for fun.

I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!











Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thrifty Thursday - School Supplies

As you know, school supplies can break your budget if you are trying to purchase things for your classroom and/or your students. I probably spent well over $1000 my first year as a teacher – and that was on an $18,000 contract (1990). Here are some suggestions for amassing supplies and “stuff” to use in your classroom:

Go to garage sales, check Craigslist, dollar stores, Wall’s, and my favorite, thrift stores. At the beginning of the school year, there are plenty of back to school sales. Be sure to attend Staples' teacher day sale so you can get some free goodies from them!

At the end of the year, ask the students if they want to keep their crayons and other supplies like rulers, scissors, pencils, pencil boxes, etc. If they don’t, have them leave them in bins in your room. You might want to alert parents about this in case they want their kids to keep their school supplies for the next year.

I’ve always had good luck asking parents to replenish the supply cabinets in your classroom. If there is an active PTA or PTO at your school, they might consider purchasing art supplies or other supplies for your classroom.

Attend conferences and ask friends to donate to your classroom supply closet. Ask me! I have plenty of leftover highlighters, rulers and pens to give away!

Whatever you do, don't try to buy everything your first year. Asking for help is better than spending your own hard-earned cash for "stuff" for your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment