After being a tent camper for years and years, I recently purchased a teardrop camper. I bought it mainly for security and safety while traveling. I hope to join some communities of women campers to make more friends and connections.

I am a reader and a writer; a momma and a grandma; a sister and a daughter. I have been a teacher and librarian for over 25 years. I used to blog here for new teachers, but now I have changed to blogging about my travels, and just for fun.

I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!











Friday, May 20, 2011

My Personal Learning Network

I've been researching and learning more about building a personal learning network (PLN) the last couple of weeks. Note that it is a PERSONAL learning network; everything in your network should be personal to you. I've found that I've had one my whole life, although back then the PLN "label" didn't really exist.

My family - 1967


Girl Scout Troop - 1975











My first PLN consisted of my family, teachers, and friends. Also included in my PLN were the books, newspapers, and magazines that I read or consulted. I truly believe that books you read become a part of the way you live your life.

When I entered college, my PLN expanded into classmates, professors, content experts, and doing scholarly research.

After I began teaching, my PLN grew to include my colleagues, administrators, and subscriptions to teacher newsletters and magazines. I even contributed to a teacher magazine in which I was published!

As the internet expanded, I began to subscribe to blogs, wikis, podcasts, and newsletters to increase my knowledge base. I have created my own blogs and wikis, expanded into Twitter, social bookmarking sites, and have been giving professional development to co-workers; connecting, collaborating and creating information for others in my PLN.


My personal learning network isn't just about my profession. It also includes information about my interests such as crafting, reading, librarianship, camping, and travel.

My advice is to start developing your own PLN by watching this short video and by searching for multiple ways to increase your learning. Subscribe to blogs of your own personal interest, follow great educators on Twitter, research and share your experiences with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment