After being a tent camper for years and years, I recently purchased a teardrop camper. I bought it mainly for security and safety while traveling. I hope to join some communities of women campers to make more friends and connections.

I am a reader and a writer; a momma and a grandma; a sister and a daughter. I have been a teacher and librarian for over 25 years. I used to blog here for new teachers, but now I have changed to blogging about my travels, and just for fun.

I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!











Sunday, July 10, 2016

Off we go to Nebraska!

Mom and Dad came over early in the morning to drop off an ice chest for me to use and say goodbye. I finally left Stillwater at 8:00 AM. I had a strong tailwind almost all the way to Nebraska.

I stopped for a rest once, and gas once. Both times, people commented on my little camper. I can see that it will be a conversation starter, for sure!

Giant wind turbines were throughout Oklahoma and Kansas. I saw one of the blades on the back of a truck just north of Stillwater

I stopped for about an hour at Lindsborg, Kansas, one of my favorite places ever! It is a little town that was settled by Swedish immigrants and maintains it's small town charm. I bought a hanging Dala horse to hang outside and took some pictures in town. I also bought a gingerbread cookie at the Swedish bakery. Customers pay on the honor system there - wow!

Bad Kitty is on my trip!

Lindsborg downtown

Dala Horse factory
On the curvy, narrow highway in north Kansas, I began to see a bunch of prairie dogs! They kept running across the highway. At a gas station, the old farts sitting in it, kind of made fun of Franklin a little, but they thought he was pretty snazzy! I finally pulled into my cousins' farm south of McCook, Nebraska. We figured out that it had been 15 years since my last visit - WAY TOO LONG AGO! I will try my best to not let that happen again. I used to visit almost yearly.

This is a true farm in every sense of the word. Dick farms and runs cattle. Their son, Danny, works with him. Marilyn has a huge vegetable garden and a big flower garden each year. They have two horses (that belong to their daughter, Lynnette), many cattle (their grand kids show them at the fair), dogs, cats, and chickens.
Lynette's horses.

Looking east at where the cattle are located.

Farm cats hanging out at the water trough.
Almost all of the dogs!

The rooster - he was a loud cock-a-doodle-do-er!


Beautiful rolling hills for crops and cattle.

Dick took me out to eat at the Rocket Pizza in Indianola, a nearby town. He explained how combines work for me - one kind cuts wheat, and the other sucks the wheat berries off! He showed me where Danny and his family live, a well as one of my Sloggett cousins lives in McCook. We saw a big buck deer in a pasture! Poor Marilyn couldn't do anything with us or for me - not even a hug! She had had a radiation treatment that day, so wasn't allowed within 9 feet of other people. We had a nice visit that evening and I even talked with another cousin (Dick's brother), David for about a half hour. I hadn't talked with him in about 15 years either! It was so peaceful at the farm, and comforting to visit with family. I love them all so much!
The corn was a tall as me! Dick said "your corn should be knee high by July". 

Basement house up the road from the Stitt's.

No comments:

Post a Comment